Wednesday, July 18, 2012

French Crepe Co.

In my lifetime, I've had crepes in french class at school, at Crepes A Go Go in Berkeley and in Paris, France. Each of these places was quite different from the others. If it's correct to say that the crepe I had in France was the most authentic, then none of the other crepes I've had are at that level.

Let me start off by describing the crepe I had in France. The batter turned out to be very, very thin to the point that it was hard and crispy even. The filling inside (I got nutella and banana) was very thinly spread. The product was this hard shelled, thin crepe.

With that, I'll tell you about my experience at French Crepe Co. When I arrived, there were signs at both doors instructing me to seat myself. So I did. All the seating was outdoors and it was a beautiful day. I could people watch while enjoying my food. There were menus sitting on the tables already so I started browsing before the waiter even got to my table.

The menu has savory crepes, sweet crepes, chef specials, waffles, sandwiches, gourmet sandwiches, paninis, croissant sandwiches, salads, soups, European specialties and all kinds of coffees and cappuccinos. I could tell from this menu that French Crepe Co. is not completely Americanized and did have a few unique French dishes like the gourmet sandwiches, croissant sandwiches and European specialties.

However, after having looked at the menus of the three locations of French Crepe Co., I noticed that the same dishes at different locations were priced differently. Because I ate at the Hollywood Highland location, I paid an extra $2. I find that ridiculous. Everything on the menu at the Downtown Burbank location is a few dollars cheaper.


I ordered the Crepe au Jambon Sauce Mornay. It is a ham and mushroom crepe with cheese sauce. The food came fairly quickly and the crepe also came with a mixed greens salad with Dijon mustard dressing.

The crepe was warm and soft when it came to me. The batter was definitely thicker and softer than the one I had in France. When I cut into it, the cheese sauce flowed out. The sauce was very extremely creamy. The ham was good quality ham, and they put in quite a bit of it. The mushrooms were not cooked thoroughly. The very few pieces that did existed, were raw. I also felt like the proportion of cheese to ham and mushroom was too high. Personally, it was too much cheese, but I understand some people might like it. Good thing I had the salad to mellow out the creamy taste. The crepe looked small at the beginning but I found myself completely stuffed by the time I was done.

Sitting outside and enjoying the sunny weather made the experience as a whole better, but if I had to rate just the food itself, I would give it a 2.5/5. Overall 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment