Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Self Proclaimed "Authentic Indian Cuisine"

I had one of the best meals here at The India's Tandoori . I've only had Indian food a few times before and I usually order some type of curry. This time I tried something new per suggestion of my apartment mate. And it was indeed a good choice.

Usually I find Indian food to be deceptively heavy. The portions LOOK small. You think, oh I got this, no problem. 20 minutes later you feel like you're 3 months pregnant.

This place is very close to the Burbank Town Center, so it’s a great place to grab a nice meal after shopping. That’s exactly how I stumbled upon it.

It doesn’t look like much from the outside but it’s nicely decorated inside. The tablecloths are deep maroon and the silverware and white napkins nicely complement it. Based on the setting and atmosphere in this place, it’s a potential date restaurant I would say.

After I sat down it took the waiters a long time to get me a menu and even a glass of water…The restaurant wasn’t even full but the two or three waiters there could not juggle all the customers’ requests.

After taking a look at the menu, I could see how a meal here might not be cheap. I wanted to try something different that night so I ordered Chicken Tikki Masala instead of my usual curry. My apartment mate recommended it.

As I sat patiently waiting for my dish to arrive, I was given some thin, crisp chip-like bread and three types of sauces. One was chopped onion and tomato. The other was chutney and the last one was some kind of brown colored sauce that was tangy. The sauces were delicious!

My Chicken Tikki Masala arrived in a square bowl and I also ordered a side of rice. The waiter served the rice into my plate and poured some chicken tikki masala on top of the rice. I would have liked to serve myself though, so I could determine how much masala I wanted on my rice and how much I wanted to eat at one time.


My first bite into this beautiful concoction was delicious. The sauce was so creamy. A smooth buttery taste. The tanginess of the tomato in this sauce was just perfect. Not too much that it overwhelmed the creamy taste but not too little either. The taste reminded me a lot of cream of tomato. The chicken was in small chunks. Lean and cooked just right. I really liked the rice too. You could even eat it by itself because it had a slight salty taste to it. Small strands of carrot were also mixed into it.

By the end of my meal, I was completely bloated and alas, I could not defeat the Chicken Tikki Masala. I brought the rest home, satisfied.

The waiters took the longest time bringing me my check so my apartment mate and I thought they didn’t want my money.

So the only downsides to this place were the service and price of food. However, I would say the quality of food negated those somewhat. Overall 4/5 stars.

3 comments: